Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Thank You


One year and two days ago I set off on a journey to be a stay at home mom for one year.  These last 12 months have been filled with many wonderful moments,sky high ups and grand canyon downs.  There were days when I wondered what in heck I was thinking. And other days, where I'd wake up with two tiny people, who somewhat resemble me when I was little, competing to throw their arms around my neck and smother me in mommy/daughter love (though some of that love is always a little more drooly than the other ;).

Before I started our little "experiment" to live on one income for one year, we set aside a financial nest egg and stocked our pantry with toiletries and other supplies. Then I created a list of goals I wanted to accomplish. Our nest egg is now nonexistent, we just unwrapped the last bar of soap today, and as I  reexamined my goal list, I was pleasantly surprised to find that I completed most of it. I got to visit my grandma twice a week, and sewed my very first dress for Jenna (Sure the dress had to be cut in half and hemmed into a shirt which Jenna refused to wear, then was downgraded to a dress for Naomi-but I still count it :)) I started this blog and originally set a goal to create 40 posts and even though I didn't always manage to get them out on time (I was shooting for 3 to 4 a month) I passed my goal with this being my 45 post. The front of the refrigerator, hope chest, memory box, and sliding glass door are filled with the 100+ art projects Jenna and I did together, and my recipe box is filled with stared goodies that Jenna and I will bake again in the future.

Looking back on this past year some people might think I was crazy for doing it and I'm not sure they'd consider my story all that successful.  But that would depend on their idea of what success is. A lot of my other goals, like the Norman Rockwell Thanksgiving like meals I created or the rare days all the laundry was complete & the house was super clean all at the same time,  will probably be forgotten. But so much of this year will stay with me forever. I got to watch my baby, Naomi, take her first steps, say her first words, blow her first kiss.  Jenna mastered potty training, learned to count to 20, recites the Lord's Prayer, and, through listening to Mike and my conversations, she even figured out how to spell "park", "ice cream", and "bed."

A year ago I was pulling my hair out trying to manage new found food allergies and sibling jealousy.  Now we've got meals down to a science and the girls play together like best buds. So much joy.  So much growth.  So much change, and so much to look forward to in the future. The first of which is Mike's new job. He is now the Director of a preschool about 5 minutes from our home.  Jenna will be in the three year old class there this coming fall.  We are all very excited and I'm sure he'll do a great job.  We have also had an offer on our house and are praying God blesses that the "As Is" Short Sale goes quickly and smoothly.  As for me....let's just say I've got some options I'm working on for next school year and I won't know officially what my job status will be until August. Until then I've got two more months to enjoy being, Just Mama.

You might wonder, if I were to do the past year all over again, would I? Hands down, no hesitations-YES!  After all, children are tiny for such a brief moment in the scope of our lives. But more than anything, this year has been a blessing and a privileged.  I will treasure my time being home with my little girls for as long as I live. A wise woman once told me that there is no greater gift you can give to your children than yourself.  She gave that gift to me and I am so grateful to God that I was able to do the same for my two girls, even for this short time. In my mind, there's no greater success than that.

To my readers, thank you for joining me on this journey :)
God Bless You,
Jamie


No comments:

Post a Comment